Opendoor
Closing Dashboard

Role
Senior Product Designer

Team Setup
PD, PM, EM with 4 Eng

Date
Feb 2019

Closing on the sell of your home is an emotional and complex process. Our vision for the Opendoor dashboard was to create a self-service experience that was modular and could be quickly iterated on in the future based on customer and business needs.

Digging in

Based on research, we created a kick-off deck to define the highest priority problems with the current dashboard, summary of the design goals, customer pain points and a heuristic evaluation of the current information architecture.

Failing early

We brainstormed ideas in a sprint and in tactical workshops with PM and Research. We focused on ways to make itself service and reduce friction, high anxiety moments that we learned in research.

Explored ideas that stuck like adding a summary page and also, explored ideas that failed quickly, like grouping similar tasks together but found that lead to the customer jumping around a lot by role playing out the ideas.

Prototyping & Research

We developed two concepts to test in UX research, the first was just iterating on our existing dashboard by adding a simple pizza tracker at the top and the second was with a new landing summary page with the cleaned up IA.

The second concept with the summary out performed the existing of the dashboard mainly cause people loved the new summary page with a clear call-to-action on the next step and the ease of the navigation. Since this was adding a new screen and step in the experience we were excited to get clear signal that this was a good path to go down.

 

Getting into the details

The closing dashboard that was built 4 years prior to us redesigning it, was built with the notion that a rep from Opendoor would be walking the customer through the end-to-end closing process.

In order for the company to scale and reduce cost to acquiring homes, we set out to create a service dashboard and with signal from our research session, we started fleshing out all the flows and spent a good amount of time iterating on the new summary page.

We partnered really closing with the Head of Customer Experience (CX) to gain insight and requirements into the new summary page and also the detailed flows. They had wanted for years to make changes to the closing dashboard like adding the summary page and fixing issues in the detailed flows that were a disconnect with the the processes that the CX team followed and walked the customer though.

For example, the customer now had to sign their repair addendum before making their own repairs but that wasn’t represented in the current experience and lead to a lot of headaches for CX and the customer.

Building out

We fleshed out all the main flows for the dashboard, I used Dropbox Paper to keep an inventory of all the components needed and keep track of notes. I used Overflow to create the flows with arrows so people could at a glance understand.

We used Figma comments to get alignment and feedback on the copy between PM, CX and Content Strategy.

Extra details & launching

I wanted to explore custom loaders since there could be long moments of waiting while the web app loaded and also for things like contracts could take up to 10 secs. The team was really excited about them and felt like it added another level of polish to the experience.

We launched in San Antonio first and we immediately saw a decrease in time with customers in completing tasks, for example before it would take 2-3 days for customers to  scheduled their assessment and we saw them doing it within ~12 mins after signing their contract.

...

This is a unique website which will require a more modern browser to work!

Please upgrade today!